Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hello at long last!

Hi! Oh my goodness time is just going way too fast! It's been a couple (or more) weeks since I posted last or have been around to visit anyone, and for that I apologize. I just can't seem to get my act together lately. Do any of you ever feel that way? Like you just get on top of things, and then before you know it, everything is back on top of you again?! Anyway, one project I have finally finished is our hallway. I don't know how to do a link (yes I am a computer dummy....shock! horror!) but if you go to my archives and read the "Hallway Makeover" post from May 2008, then this post will make more sense (do they ever?! lol). The reason it's taken so long to complete the look I was after is because I was determined not to spend a lot of money on this project. I wanted to see if I could do a nice job on a small budget and have been looking around at thrift stores, or for new but discounted items at regular stores. Here's some photo's of the hallway before and during the make over, and now with the look complete........

The hallway before....


The start!


The shelf & shutter display in the hallway comprising of mostly thrifted items....


More thrifted items.....


If you've gone back to read the May post, this is where my makeover had ended....


And here are some of the newly thrifted items to complete the theme. My husband loves boats (trains, planes, cars etc..you name it, he likes it!) so when I found this cute little hand crafted boat for $1.50, how could I refuse?!


I seem to have an obsession with time, and have clocks hanging all over the house (mainly because I hate to be late!), but I wanted a nautical looking clock to go with the beachy theme of the hallway. It look quite a few weeks of looking but I finally found this one in perfect working order for $2 at my local thrift store! Yay!


Here's a mirror that I bought for $1. It was bright orange, so I painted it white and glued some sea shells and beachy looking things to it. Added a row of hooks and hung a straw hat to complete the look. You can see the reflection of the poster from across the hallway in the glass as you walk out of our bedroom....


Another thrifted beachy looking item. This little guy opens up to hold keys inside, and cost $2.


I've hung these cute little guys outside the bathroom door. They cost a whopping $2 as well!


So here the view standing in our bedroom doorway looking down the hallway. The blue & white hallway runner was one of the few things I did buy new. It's from IKEA and cost $25....


And looking back up the hallway from the other end. Notice the clock at the top of my bedroom doorway? That way I can see just how late I'm running as I rush up and down here getting ready! ( yes I know, I have issues! lol)


Whew, I'm glad that room is finally finished. I have a few more projects on the go, also being done on a small budget (because I like a challenge!), so I'll show you them when they're complete too! I hope you are all having a really lovely week, and haven't forgotten me. As soon as I can I will be around to visit again. Until then, take care and hugs for you all!.....Love Amanda xxx

14 comments:

oliver rain said...

Glad to see you are back!

Linda said...

Welcome back! You've certainly been missed!

Your hallway transformation looks terrific...and done on a budget too. Way to go girl!

FarmHouse Style said...

Amanda, your hallway project looks great! I love the seaside theme. You did an incredible job giving the orange mirror a face lift... very creative:-)

Rhonda

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Yay Amanda! I have missed you .... eventhough I haven't been around much myself! HA!

Your Hallway is sweet. Love the checkered rug. It really makes the other decorations POP!

((hugs)) Rosie

CatHerder said...

It looks fantastic..the blue really brings out that shore theme..love it!

Dena said...

Hi Amanda,

Your hallway looks fantastic! Everything is so bright and sunny, it always seems like summer there to me :)

Hugs,
Dena

black eyed susans kitchen said...

I love the hallway! It is so beachy. You must smile everytime you walk through there. Susan

Wendster said...

Amanda!!! It is so good to have a moment to come and visit you and just pore over all of your posts. I loved the trip to the flower festival. Those gardens! Oh my goodness, what beauties! And your photos were wonderful. I really do think that you should list photography as one of your talents because the composition, the color saturation, the just-dang-prettiness of them ... they are just SUPER.

Once again you have delighted me by including a photo of your picnic. I love that the edge of the food carrier (insulated, yes?) is showing so we can see how food is transported in Australia ... the little label on the bread bag ... ecstacy. I love my little trips to Australia you take us on, and that you take a moment to show me the things that I would look for if I were there. I love seeing what the locals do, see, use. And I love that you teach us things with little mentions of things like the school holidays. Like, the two week school holiday being over and the two month holiday will begin in two months ... is that DECEMBER? wow! But it makes sense. Just so different from here because of when we experience our summer. Of course we have our summer holidays in July and August.

You really put a happy smile on my face with your posts.

And how fun that John was in the circus! What a good sport he was, too. I am so glad that his jaw has healed so well, and will continue to pray for it to reach it's perfect state of health.

I love the hallway make-over. I especially love that you see thrift items for their possibilities. If I had seen the orange mirror, I don't know that I would have been able to see how nice it would have looked painted white. I might have only seen an orange mirror. What a super idea to put those little shells and things on it too. You really are creative, Amanda. That runner down the hallway really ties it all together. And that boat for 1.50? WOW. You are the queen of the excellent finds. Who cares if we have a million dollars in our purse? Its ALWAYS going to be more fun to find an amazing deal. It's like winning some kind of contest. Just makes me happy.

OK. This comment is way too long like always ... but when it takes me forever and a day to get to visiting I just can't resist leaving my good friends a comment packed with the blog love I feel for them.

You are dear to me, Amanda! I just love'ya! Wendster

PAT said...

Your hallway is wonderful Amanda. I can see your personality here!

Saguaro Chick said...

I love all your transformations! I had tons of nautical stuff at my last house. I wish I had it all back now so I could send it all to you to enjoy! Nautical is always so fun and colorful! Your house looks so inviting and friendly....just like you!

Glad to see you back today! But I know what you mean....sometimes there just isn't the time to squeeze in to get everything done and blog all at the same time! But don't worry...we will always be here waiting for you!

Leslie

Elena said...

Great job! I really like your theme.

Anonymous said...

So glad you are back - I just love the hallway - I think the rug brings it all together!
xo
mary
hoganfe handmade
handbag originals

Melissa said...

It's nice to have you back.

Your hallway looks so crisp and beachy. I love the way it looks.

Melissa

Anonymous said...

Amanda, you must know that we could never forget you. I just know that you are busy with living.

Your hallway project looks fantastic. I think the runner was the perfect finishing touch.