The 26th January is Australia Day. Our Independence day. That fell on a Saturday this year, and today, Monday is a public holiday for the occasion. This morning I woke up with a craving for some Vegemite toast and a cuppa sweet tea. My ultimate comfort food. It dawned on me while I was preparing this bleary eyed, early am treat for myself, that most people from other countries may never have the opportunity to taste our beloved Vegemite, and if they have tasted it, I'll bet they didn't like it. Now I do agree that it is an acquired taste. MOST Aussies love the stuff, it's just a part of our culture, it's fed to us from when we're babies, often mixed in with our baby food of mashed vegetables. So I thought I'd take this moment, this part of our Aussie Day holiday, to share with you the ART of making Vegemite on toast the right way, the delicious way. The Aussie way. Aren't you just hanging on the edges of your seat in anticipation? What do you mean no? Hey, come back! I'll let you hold my little Aussie flag if you do. I'll even let you wave it around annoyingly in front of me while I prepare some Vegemite toast for you. Ok? Come, lets sit outside with the sun blazing down on our backs, and enjoy breakfast together...........ouch! Will you please stop poking me with the tip of the flag? Ouch! Right, now get a loaf of nice fresh bread and cut some thick slices. Pop the kettle on to boil. Now pop the toast in the toaster and toast until golden brown. Don't' walk away like I did and forget it while you check emails. Shut off smoke detector by waving tea towel under it in a mad fashion. Stop shaking. Reach for headache pain reliever. Now while the toast is still hot, butter it nice and thick. Because 'I' don't want to be nice and thick myself, I use low fat margarine, but the real thing does taste better. Now take your jar of Vegemite. Yes it's a thick black paste. Kinda looks like dark chocolate doesn't it? hehehehehe well it sure doesn't taste like chocolate, so don't spread it on too thick. Just a nice thin spread of the salty delicacy thank you very much. Righto, make your cuppa tea. I'll have 2 sugars and a dash of non fat milk in mine. How do you take your tea? One lump or two? Oh, you don't take sugar cause you're sweet enough already? lol Ok, now we're ready to take our tea & toast out by the pool and relax with our toes in the water, soaking up the hot Aussie summer sun..........*sigh* OUCH! Put that flag down!
What I’m Loving & Buying In The Prime Day Deals! Great Time To Stock Up On
Your Favorites!
-
Prime Day Deals are here! I’ve been anticipating this sale, and I have some
great buys to share today. Yeti items rarely go on sale, but I noticed
their ba...
1 day ago




15 comments:
I have never heard of Vegemite--what's it made from? (OK, maybe veggies...)How nice for sharing this, I had no idea it was your Independence Day or Aussies had this tradition! Loved learning about this (and, no, I'd never poke you with a flag!!)
:0)
Tara
Good Evening Amanda,
"HAPPY BELATED AUSSIE DAY". I had no idea it was your Independence day . I have never heard of Vegemite either. I'm curious as well what it's made from. I think I will have some tea with 2 cubes please. Don't worry, I'm not going to poke you with your flag. LOL. This was so much fun and I had a great time. "THANK YOU" for sharing some of your Aussie Day with us. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.
Love & Hugs,
Karen H.
Happy Independence Day! I would love to try vegemite. Please tell me it tastes a tiny bit like peanut butter. Can you describe the taste?
Each morning I have Adam's peanut butter on toast with honey. I love it and never tire of it. I do wonder how that vegemite tastes.
I'm enjoying snow, but oh how nice your hot sun and your pool sound. It's funny too, that it's morning for you and evening for me.
Thanks for sharing a bit about your culture. Your writing is so cute. Hugs, Kathi
LOL You always put a smile on my face. I've heard of Vegemite but have no idea what is in it. Think I'll do a google search.
I'll be back blogging soon. We were lucky and were able to get help fast with our little problem. It could have been so much worse!
((hugs)) Rosie
Happy Australia Day! How neat. I have never heard of Vegemite. What does it taste like. The way you describe it and by looking at your pictures, it looks really good!
Your post is so funny and cute! You are so cute!
Have a happy day! Sharon
Happy Independence day. What does the vegemite taste like? Is it made from vegetables?
Hugs,
Nan
Thanks sweetie it means the world to me!
I've not heard of Vegemite, either. Somehow, it doesn't sound all that great to me but then, what do I know? Haha...Somehow this Vegemite reminds me of I LOVE LUCY...did you ever see it?
Happy Aussie Day!
hugs, bj
Hello and Happy belated aussie day! It is a breah of fresh air to see the sun over here! and I had the chance to try vegemite a few years back when I met an aussie friend in chicago...agh! she made me! it was not my cup o tea but an acquired taste I can appreciate!
Happy Aussie Day! I'm afraid I could do without the vegemite (I suspect its a relative of marmite which I don't like), but I'd sit down for a cup of tea with you! Not only do we have similar names, your tea is in my china!!! LOL
Enjoy your long weekend!
Jackie in Jacran Cottage
Amanda....Happy Aussie Day! I have had Vegemite (when in England), and you are definitely right...it's an acquired taste! ha...(it tasted like some kind of medicine I remember taking when I was a kid...think it was Castoria.)lol... Susan :)
Tasted like medicine hey?! LOL ok, ok, I promise to have something a little tastier for you all when you pop round for a cuppa!
Amanda xx
Contessa!! VERY Funny!! Love the post!!
Aussi Aussie Aussie
Oi Oi oi!!
I've heard of Vegamite...have not tasted it... hmmm....
I'm late, hope your Independance Day was grand!
XO
Like medicine? Ew, I don't know. Well, I am willing to try it, but I don't like medicine tastes, usually. Smile~Kathi
Post a Comment