Monday, May 12, 2008

Hallway make over!

I few months ago I mentioned that we were going to start making over some areas of our home that either badly needed freshening up, or that I was just sick and tired of looking at. So far we have done Precious Princess' bedroom, (which is almost complete and when she puts the finishing touches in there, then I'll post pics of her room.) and the hallway between the bedrooms and bathroom. I've posted quite a few pics of different angles and close ups, so hopefully you'll be able to see everything clearly enough! The walls were a heavy creamy colour, too dark for my liking in this area. So it was painted a crisp clean white.......and all decorations have come from the thrift store and some have been painted to refresh them as well. I'll show you.....

BEFORE....cream coloured walls (they don't look as dark in this photo as they would normally because of the light spilling out of Princess' newly painted room). My husband also added some more modern lighting, putting in 3 halogen lights where before we had one plain old light fitting...


The newly painted but still blank wall...


The same wall, new look! The window shutters were a very dark brown colour, and bought from the thrift store for $10. They are made out of a beautiful hardwood. A quick sanding and a few coats of paint the same colour as the wall.....and presto!


Here is a close up of the shelf. The shelf was a cheap pine shelf bought from IKEA, and repainted with wall paint. The frame was also a cheap pine frame from IKEA and painted. The picture in the frame was bought at the beach side markets for $1. Most of the things on the shelf are thrifted except for the photo of our Princess when she was little, and the bottle of sand that was bought on holiday. All the thrifted things cost around $20, and for that I got a heap of things, only some of which are used in this display.


Just some different angles for you to see better......






The other end of the hallway, above the powder room.......frame and picture from IKEA. Frame repainted white. This lighthouse in the box had this awful cardboard waterfall picture glued in the background, so I tore that out and repainted the back white to match frames and wall. The next project I have to do in the hallway is to replace all the doors (linen cupboard and bedroom doors) with these gorgeously detailed doors I saw at the hardware store, and get a new hallway runner in a beachy theme or colour. But for now, we're really happy with the hallway make over, which came in a nice little budget friendly cost of.......$50!!




Love Amanda xxx

33 comments:

Irma's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Amanda. Discovered your blog from one of your posts on another blog. Love your hallway makeover. I also am in the process of redoing our hallway. Will post pics once I get it together. Love your flower pics from your previous post. What kind of flowers are the striped ones?
Also checked out your receipes. They sound great. The potatoe casserole sounds great. I also like to do alot of baking. I have just started to learn to make bread. Your loaf looks so good.
Hope you drop by and visit.

Hugs:)
Irma

Anonymous said...

So bright and cheerful. Your new photo is lovely, too. :) Hugs ~
Alexandra

Rue said...

Oh my goodness! The hallway turned out wonderful!! It just goes to show that you can get a high cost look for very little money :) The shutters are brilliant!

Have a beautiful Day!
hugs,
rue

ohiofarmgirl said...

Amanda, Your hallway looks so wonderful. I think the shutters are my favorite part, they look so inviting. I am always so afraid of painting something white because I am afaid that it will look cold. You have proven me wrong. Dianntha

bj said...

OOOOOO, this looks just FABULOUS...just a beautiful hallway. I am a hugh fan of old shutters (LOVE the texture they add) and these look so good. I would be getting me a sleeping bag and spending my nights in that beautiful hallway! lol
You and family did a marvelous job here, Mandi girl...

Sometimes It's Good said...

The shelf and shutters works so well when you don't have room for a large cabinet or other furniture. My hall is so narrow I might try something like you did. You have great ideas!

Hugs, Susan

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Amanda...I hope you had a great Mother's Day...love the cupcakes in your previous post!

Your $50 facelift looks nice and fresh! Very bright and airy!
Hugs,
Robin

Back Through Time said...

Love your darling little hallway!! You did a great job and what a deal!
Michelle

Jan said...

Amanda, you are a marvel! How you got that perfectly fresh and bright new look for $50 is amazing!! My daughter painted our hallway last fall and instead of doing the entire hallway for a second coat...she just painted the spots that looked like they needed a second coat. So my hallway is splotched! LOL! I'll be redoing mine soon, too! Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Jan

Anonymous said...

Well, Miss Amanda. You have done a wonderful job redoing your hallway. It looks so fresh and bright, and I adore your display. Such a clever idea to use the shutters. Great job.

My best friend just started her blog. If you get a chance please go over to visit her and say hello at http://backyardneighbor.typepad.com/

CIELO said...

Great Job, Amanda... your hallway turned out wonderful!! Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day....

Hugs

Cielo

BellaColle said...

Yay!! It turned out lovely. White always adds a nice clean touch.
Hope your Mother's day was wonderful!
XO

Rosie's Whimsy said...

I love the beachy theme. It's crisp and clean! I love it!

:-) Rosie

PAT said...

I love the changes Amanda! Your "new" hallway is beautiful!

Pat

Anonymous said...

Lovely, fresh and clean. So pretty.

Tara said...

Amanda

This all looks great, very beachy and a great focalpoint for your hallway!

Hope you enjoyed Mom's Day!

:0)
Tara

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Very creative! -Julia :-)

Christine said...

Hi Amanda,
I love what a little paint and imagination can do, even in a hallway. It is so bright and cheery.
Excellent job!

Hugs!
Christine

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Amanda,
WOW looks great! You did good!
Come on over, I'm having a giveaway.
Hugs,
Rose

Wendster said...

I absolutely LOVE the hallway and the wall treatment is to die for! NICE.

Wow.

And I love the post below with the cupcakes and the tea and the warm as toast people and Paris Fifi in her adorable outfit!!! Too cute!

Happy Mother's Day to you Cupcake Cutie! I've missed visiting you, but I sure am glad to be over here visiting right now! You just rock and I am so glad that I found your blog. It's one of my favorites now.

Hugs!

Wendy

{oc cottage} said...

So cute! Everything looks so beachy &
fun! Great job!!!!!

M

Pam said...

Wow! Your hallway looks great! I love how you put it all together, and I love the beach theme.
The cost is the icing on the cake.
Just fabulous!
Hugs,
Pam

Ruthie said...

It doesn't even look like the same hallway. It's beautiful. You are very creative. Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas with us.

Tracy said...

Such terrific transformation! I like the white...so bright and clean...and the shelf/shutter decoration is so cheerful and add nice details! It looks great...Bet you're smiling lots as you walk down that hall now! Happy Days ((HUGS))

Saguaro Chick said...

Love that white crisp hallway! Really bright and cheerful! I adore the shutters! I had shutters I got rid of many years ago I always wished I would have kept and did something fun with. You have inspired me to go out shutter hunting. They look so sweet next to the picture you put up. Just a grand idea!

CatHerder said...

OMG I love it love it love it!!!!!!!

Kathi said...

You've done such a great job Amanda. I love it!! It's so bright and cheery. Pat yourself on the back and have some dessert or something special. Thows shudders take the cake. You've done well. I love it, Kathi

Kathi said...

OOOPs I spelled "thows" wrong. It's "those." You know when you look at something and you know it's wrong, but it's been a long long day and hubby is on a business trip? You feel like you caint thunk another thought? That's how I feel "rite" now. Oh poor me, having a pity party on Amanda's blog. LOL... I'm okay. I'll go soak in the tub for half an hour and I'll be good as new!! Love ya, Kathi

joyh82 said...

Love what you did with the shutters and the shelf. Very nice makeover! I like the flowers with the stripes..what kind are they?

Linda said...

Hi Amanda...lovely re-do. Everything looks so bright and cheery. The new lighting is great and I love the shutters and shelf. Pretty, pretty....Hugs, Linda

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

What a fresh and fun makeover! You are a busy bee! Great work Amanda!

Happy happy day to you!

Melissa

monique said...

Hi Amanda,

Your hallway looks absolutely gorgious!And those shutters........
You really did a great job.

take care.

Monique.

Susie Q said...

I love this Amanda! It just looks so bright, so happy! LOVE the shutters you added. It does not take money to have a great looking home...it just takes heart and a little elbow grease and someone with the talent and creativity that you have!

Enjoy it!!

Love,
Sue